So far, kind of good!

So, lots has happened since I blogged lots. We’ve hit a few bumps in the road and our idea has been through a few big transformations, but we expected that so thankfully there’s been no massive surprises. The main thing I’ve realised afetr our rehearsal today is how much we’ve had to learn to rely on each other. not only to pull our own weight, but to pool our resources and really work to communicate even the smallest ideas or things that might help.

Today it turned out the people of Lincoln aren’t as helpful as we might have hoped. Our new direction with the project requires us to get proper stories (whereas before it was just a collation of thoughts and feelings about Lincoln) that refer to a specific place, and very few people have contributed. It’s ok thoughh because we’ve all taken an active role and sent messages to everyone we know individually that lives in Lincoln or has resided here a while, and then sent a message to the tutors with a request (if you’re reading this, sorry!). I’m confident that we’ll get a decent response one way or another, it’s just down to our own perseverence.

I’ve also been reading about Site Specific performance. I’ll be honest, a lot of it is pretentious rubbish, and its difficult to sift through what’s trying to sound modern and intellectual, and what is  genuinely trying to get across the value of Site Specific Performance, but I’ve found this excerpt:

“The succession of outdoor performers since the late 1960’s has been exploring the world outside of the concrete restrictions of theatre buildings. They now have the imagination and practical experience to go into many different areas, not all of which could be described as ‘theatre’, but certainly containing a strong theatrical element.” (Bim Mason, 2005, p. 206)

(Mason, Bim, Street Theatre and Other Outdoor Performance, (2005), London: Routledge)